10/31/2005

God's calling

2 weeks ago, I attended Main Event, a Nav conference for college students to dig into the Bible. Drew Frazer, keynote speaker, talked heavily about God as the true vine (John 15:5). Throughout the weekend, Drew noted various passages where Jesus was surrounded by people. While we know for sure that Jesus always had 12 disciples following him that were christians, the rest of the crowd was primarily non-christian. As we began to look at these passages, I saw time and time over that whatever the situation, someone from the crowd always ended up prostrate at Jesus' feet. For that person to acknowledge that Jesus had power over them, and over their lives, I think falling to their knees was the only course of action that would have been suitable.

How does that look today? I surely cannot physically fall to my knees in front of Jesus. And honestly, I can't come to Jesus through prayer alone. I need the Holy Spirit to aid me in my humbleness. For without the Holy Spirit in me, my body is as unclean as it was when I first entered this world.

1 comment:

Gerald said...

I can't come to Jesus through prayer alone. I need the Holy Spirit to aid me in my humbleness. For without the Holy Spirit in me, my body is as unclean as it was when I first entered this world.

Well said Scot. Good to read your thoughts.

Also, the bit above about marriage was great too. Too often the typological relationship between Christ and the Church and the Husband and the Wife is overlooked in weddings. Weddings are about the gospel, first and foremost.